Thursday, July 26, 2012

Midterm Self-Reflection

    I have learned countless lessons thus far in TCF 312, but there are a few in particular that I think are the most valuable. First, from a director’s standpoint I have learned that finding a Director of Photography that can accurately depict your vision is vital in making your film. A DP must have the ability to view a scene in his mind and know how to manipulate shadows and colors to recreate that mental image. No matter how talented a Director of Photography is, the Director must go through extensive preparation to assure the intended vision is achieved. I never realized how much preparation is required before a shoot can start off on the right foot. Without the proper preparation, the story and intended message will be utterly lost, leaving a shell of a movie remaining. Shots that would normally be pleasant to view become distractions when they are not motivated by the story. In a properly executed film, each shot is not random or done for a cool effect, but each shot must be a message sent to the viewer by the director, translated by the Director of Photography. Prior to this class, I was beginning to understand how specific a Directors role is, but during this class I have realized how much pre-production is required of the Director.
    From a technical standpoint, one thing I have found extremely interesting and useful is the camera’s ability to capture motion in so many different ways. With different combinations of settings, the way something appears to move on screen can change drastically. I intend on becoming as familiar with the camera as I can possibly be so that I will never be hindered in achieving an intended vision because of technical ignorance. I have found that my strength as of now lies in Directing. I have a passion for acting and that offers me some insight into what the character should be feeling in the moment. I hope that through experience I can become a master of filmmaking, but that will not happen without a lot of hard work.  

1 comment:

  1. and don't be addicted to dissolves!

    glad you are learning a lot!

    ReplyDelete